Me!

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am currently a student at Western Oregon University getting my Master of Arts in Teaching degree. I am student teaching in the Salem-Keizer School District and strongly believe the students are teaching me more than I am teaching them! I have fun everyday though and look forward to getting even more involved in education.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Another use of Blogs- HS PE

I almost forgot about this use of blogs! My mentor teacher last term (for high school P.E.) kept a blog for students who wanted to earn extra credit. It is surprisingly easy to fall behind in P.E.- mostly if you forget your clothes or don't feel like dressing down and lose your points for the day. My mentor created an extra credit blog on blogger and posted a different health or fitness quote every week,. If the student left a meaningful thought/comment they received 5pts extra credit. Most students who signed up for blogger and left comments were students with 100% in the class anyway, but occasionally it helped a student from a C to a B and gave students another option for earning points in a participation based class.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Sure wish I had teachers with blogs for extra credit back in the late 80s. History and P.E. were my favorite classes so I wouldn't have to use this cool tool there, but I would have used it for all other classes, since I was a "C" student.
    This really makes me think, if I could turn back time…

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion that is one of the best ways to use a blog! There are reasons that make sense why students can't get extra help...they ride the bus, or have a job so they can't come in before or after school. Almost everyone has a computer and if not, can access one in the library. There really isn't much excuse to not visit the class blog and participate! I'm curious how effective that is? I might try to find a teacher using one and give a brief interview. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete